Last February, I got inspired to declutter my closet (or clean out my closet, or do a closet purge, whichever you want to call it) – for several reasons:
1) The clothes that I’ve been using (and abusing) on my travels for the past 3 years needed a refresh. Some of them were already too worn out, no longer usable, didn’t fit me anymore.
2) I was back in my parents’ house, where I had a lot of “home clothes” — old t-shirts from college, varsity sweaters, old workout clothes, beat up sneakers, all the sentimental stuff, you name it, it’s boxed up. I dug into those boxes for this purge, too!
3) I felt my body and my style evolving, and a lot of the things I previously had in my closet no longer fit right (literally and figuratively). I needed to recharge and reconnect with my things, and make sure they were still aligned to who I am + my lifestyle NOW.
4) I wanted to earn some extra money to use on my upcoming Mexico trip! And so I wanted to gather my preloved clothes that were still in great shape, and sell those preloved items online. (And I did!)
With those things in mind, I set out to do a complete decluttering of my closet.
(OH AND ALSO last February was when I got Lasik/PRK surgery, so I couldn’t do anything (especially look at screens) for a few days because my eyes were super sensitive. Needless to say, I was bored out of my mind, and so I went and attacked my closet, haha!)
A Step-by-Step Guide to Decluttering Your Closet
Here are the steps in a nutshell (watch the video for more details):
- STEP 1: Set a goal.
- STEP 2: Take everything out of your closet. Every. Single. Thing.
- STEP 3: Make labels for 6 sorting categories
- STEP 4: Designate an area or container per category.
- STEP 5: Start sorting!
- STEP 6: Put everything back in the closet, and celebrate!